Our achievements included dimensions on diseases and behaviors. In terms of childhood allergic diseases, Dr. Tsai HJ has devoted her efforts to identifying biomarkers which could be applied to reflect the status of allergic diseases in clinical setting. To discover underlying genetic influence on food allergy, Dr. Tsai HJ has also worked on genetic association and gene-environment interactions on food allergy. Dr. Chang, HY and colleagues took the advantage of the project ‘Children and Adolescent Behaviors in Long-Term Evolution (CABLE)’ to examine the development of health risk behaviors, such as unhealthy eating, smoking, and alcohol drinking, and the factors associated with the developments.
We have identified important biomarkers related to childhood allergic phenotypes/ diseases.
- Wang JY, Liu LF, Chen CY, Huang YW, Hsiung CA, Tsai HJ*. Acetaminophen and/or antibiotic use in early life and the development of childhood allergic diseases. International Journal of Epidemiology 2013; 42(4): 1087-99.
- Yao TC, Tsai HJ, Tu YL, et al. Multiplexed immunoglobulin E sensitization in relation to exhaled nitric oxide in a population sample of children. Allergy 2014; 69(5): 678-82.
- Yao TC, Tu YL, Chang SW, Tsai HJ…,et al. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in relation to lung function and exhaled nitric oxide in children. The Journal of Pediatrics 2014; 165(6): 1098-103.e1.
- Yao TC, Chang SW, Hua MC,…,Tsai HJ*, Huang JL*. Tobacco smoke exposure and multiplexed immunoglobulin E sensitization in children: a population-based study. Allergy 2016; 71(1): 90-8.
We have discovered genetic impact and/or gene-environment interactions on food sensitization/ food allergy in children.
- Hong X*, Tsai HJ*, Liu X*, et al. Does genetic regulation of IgE begin in utero? Evidence from T(H)1/T(H)2 gene polymorphisms and cord blood total IgE. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 2010; 126(5): 1059-67, 67.e1.
- Liu X, Wang G, Hong X, Wang D, Tsai HJ,….,et al. Gene-vitamin D interactions on food sensitization: a prospective birth cohort study. Allergy 2011; 66(11): 1442-8.
- Hong X, Hao K, Ladd-Acosta C, Hansen KD, Tsai HJ,….,et al. Genome-wide association study identifies peanut allergy-specific loci and evidence of epigenetic mediation in US children. Nature Communications 2015; 6
We have devoted efforts to investigate the development of health related behaviors and the associated factors.
- Wu WC, Luh DL, Lin CI,…, Chang HY*. Reciprocal relationship between unhealthy eating behaviours and depressive symptoms from childhood to adolescence: 10-year follow-up of the Child and Adolescent Behaviors in Long-Term Evolution study. Public health nutrition 2016: 1-12.
- Hung CC, Chang HY*, Luh DL, Wu CC, Yen LL. Do parents play different roles in drinking behaviours of male and female adolescents? A longitudinal follow-up study. BMJ Open 2015; 5(4): e007179.
- Lin LJ, Chang HY, Luh DL, Hurng BS, Yen LL. The trajectory and the related physical and social determinants of body mass index in elementary school children: results from the child and adolescent behaviors in long-term evolution study. Journal of Obesity 2014; 2014: 728762.
- Chen CY, Wu CC, Chang HY*, Yen LL. The effects of social structure and social capital on changes in smoking status from 8th to 9th grade: results of the Child and Adolescent Behaviors in Long-term Evolution (CABLE) study. Preventive Medicine 2014; 62: 148-54.
- Chiang YC, Lee TS, Yen LL,…, Chang HY*. Influence of stressors and possible pathways of onset of seventh graders’ suicidal ideation in urban and rural areas in Taiwan. BMC Public Health 2013; 13: 1233.