Both prospective and retrospective cohort studies are important epidemiological methods for investigating disease etiology and progression as well as pharmacovigilance. Institutes of Population Health Sciences have been conducting several cohort studies, including the Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors Two-Township Study (community-based cohort), Diabetes Management through an Integrated Delivery System study(DMIDS: hospital-based cohort), National Nutrition and Health Survey Cohort (national representative cohort). Using the data derived from the National Health Insurance Research Database (NHRID), we have also persistently investigated the influence of psychotropic agents, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), metformin, and anti-coagulants on chronic renal diseases, cardiovascular events, peripheral vascular diseases and neurodegeneration diseases. In the past 5 years, we have published several journal articles in the following fields:
We have explored risk factors of cardiovascular disease (stroke and heart disease).
- Chuang SY, Hsu YY, Chen RC, Liu WL, Pan WH. Abdominal Obesity and Low Skeletal Muscle Mass Jointly Predict Total Mortality and Cardiovascular Mortality in an Elderly Asian Population. The Journals of Gerontology Series A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 2015.
- Chuang SY, Chang HY, Lee MS, Chia-Yu Chen R, Pan WH. Skeletal muscle mass and risk of death in an elderly population. Nutrition, Metabolism, and Cardiovascular Diseases : NMCD 2014; 24(7): 784-91.
- Cheng HM, Chuang SY, Sung SH…, Pan WH. Derivation and validation of diagnostic thresholds for central blood pressure measurements based on long-term cardiovascular risks. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2013; 62(19): 1780-7.
- Hsu PF, Sung SH, Cheng HM,…,Chunag SY. Association of clinical symptomatic hypoglycemia with cardiovascular events and total mortality in type 2 diabetes: a nationwide population-based study. Diabetes Care 2013; 36(4): 894-900.
We have detected and evaluated short-term or long-term medication-related benefits and adverse events.
- Chuang SY, Yu Y, Sheu WH, …, Tsai HJ*. Association of short-term use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs with stroke in patients with hypertension. Stroke 2015; 46(4): 996-1003.
- Wu CS, Lin CC, Chang CM,…, Tsai HJ*. Antipsychotic treatment and the occurrence of venous thromboembolism: a 10-year nationwide registry study. The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2013; 74(9): 918-24.Hsu CC, Wang H, Hsu YH, …, Tsai HJ*. Use of Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs and Risk of Chronic Kidney Disease in Subjects With Hypertension: Nationwide Longitudinal Cohort Study. Hypertension 2015; 66(3): 524-33.
- Wu CS, Tsai YT, Tsai HJ*. Antipsychotic Drugs and the Risk of Ventricular Arrhythmia and/or Sudden Cardiac Death: A Nationwide Case-Crossover Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2015 Feb 23;4(2).
- Chuang SY, Pan WH, Chang HY, Wu CI, Chen CY, Hsu CC*. Protective Effect of Calcium Channel Blockers Against Frailty in Older Adults with Hypertension. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016 Jun; 64(6):1356-8.
- Chang HH, Chang YK, Lu CW, Huang CT, Chien CT, Hung KY, Huang KC, Hsu CC*. Statins Improve Long Term Patency of Arteriovenous Fistula for Hemodialysis. Sci Rep. 2016 Feb 23; 6:22197.
- Hsu YH, Hung PH, Muo CH, Tsai WC, Hsu CC, Kao CH. Interferon-Based Treatment of Hepatitis C Virus Infection Reduces All-Cause Mortality in Patients With End-Stage Renal Disease: An 8-Year Nationwide Cohort Study in Taiwan. Medicine (Baltimore). 2015 Nov; 94(47):e2113.
- Chang YK, Liu JS, Hsu YH, Tarng DC, Hsu CC*. Increased Risk of End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Requiring Chronic Dialysis is Associated With Use of Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs): Nationwide Case-Crossover Study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2015 Sep; 94(38):e1362.
- Chen YH, Chiang MH, Liu JS, Chang YK, Kuo KL, Hung SC, Tai HL, Hsu CC*, Tarng DC. Thiazolidinediones and Risk of Long-Term Dialysis in Diabetic Patients with Advanced Chronic Kidney Disease: A Nationwide Cohort Study. PloS One. 2015 Jun 17; 10(6):e0129922.
- Hung SC, Chang YK, Liu JS, Kuo KL, Chen YH, Hsu CC*, Tarng DC. Metformin use and mortality in patients with advanced chronic kidney disease: a national retrospective observational cohort study. Lancet Diabetes 2015 Aug; 3(8):605-14.
- Kuo KL, Hung SC, Liu JS, Chang YK, Hsu CC*, Tarng DC. Iron supplementation associates with low mortality in pre-dialyzed advanced chronic kidney disease patients receiving erythropoiesis-stimulating agents: a nationwide database analysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2015; 30(9): 1518-1525.
- Tsai HJ, Hsu YH, Huang YW, Chang YK, Liu JS, Hsu CC*. Use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of chronic kidney disease in subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus, a nationwide longitudinal cohort study. Diabetic Medicine 2015 Mar; 32(3):382-390.
- Hung SC, Kuo KL, Tarng DC, Hsu CC, Wu MS, Huang TP. Anemia management in patients with chronic kidney disease: Taiwan practice guidelines. Nephrology (Carlton). 2014 Aug 25. 19(12):735-739.
- Hsu TW, Liu JS, Hung SC, Kuo KL, Chang YK, Chen YC, Hsu CC*, Tarng DC. Renoprotective effect of renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system blockade in patients with predialysis advanced chronic kidney disease, hypertension, and anemia. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2014 Mar; 174(3):347-54.
We have explored the relations of dietary, food and disease management.
- Lee SC, Yang YH, Chuang SY, Liu SC, Yang HC, Pan WH. Risk of asthma associated with energy-dense but nutrient-poor dietary pattern in Taiwanese children. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2012; 21(1): 73-81.
- Lee SC, Yang YH, Chuang SY, Huang SY, Pan WH. Reduced medication use and improved pulmonary function with supplements containing vegetable and fruit concentrate, fish oil and probiotics in asthmatic school children: a randomised controlled trial. The British journal of Nutrition 2013; 110(1): 145-55.
- Chiu YF, Hsu CC, Chiu TH, et al. Cross-sectional and longitudinal comparisons of metabolic profiles between vegetarian and non-vegetarian subjects: a matched cohort study. The British journal of Nutrition 2015; 114(8): 1313-20.
- Hsu CC*, Tai TY. Long-term glycemic control by a diabetes case-management program and the challenges of diabetes care in Taiwan. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2014 Dec;106 (Suppl 2):S328-332.
- Chang HY, Wahlqvist ML, Liu WL, Lee MS, Shin SJ, Li YS, Chang CJ, Chang CT, Fuh MT, Yang HJ, Tai TY, Hsu CC*. Management trajectories in the type 2 diabetes Integrated Delivery System project in Taiwan: accounting for behavioral therapy, nutrition education and therapeutics. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2014; 23(4):592-606.
- Chang YT, Wu JL, Hsu CC, Wang JD, Sung JM. Diabetes and end-stage renal disease synergistically contribute to increased incidence of cardiovascular events: A nation-wide follow-up study during 1998-2009. Diabetes Care 2014 Jan; 37(1):277-85. doi: 10.2337.
- Cheng JS, Tsai WC, Lin CL, Chen L, Lang HC, Hsieh HM, Shin SJ, Chen T, Huang CT, Hsu CC*. Trend and Factors Associated with Healthcare use and Costs in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Decade Experience of a Universal Health Insurance Program. Medical Care. 2015 Feb; 53(2):116-124.